The very first investment any blogger makes is to register a catchy domain name which will represent his brand.
GoDaddy is one of the most popular domain name registrar when you want to register a top level domain name for the lowest price – for as low as 99 cents.
But, when it comes to renewal, you understand the true story behind the discounts.
The renewal prices are among the highest and they ask extra money for add-ons which are regularly free with other registrar – like Domain Privacy.
In this post, I will share the exact steps you need to transfer your existing domain from GoDaddy to NameCheap.
Plus, I’ll share a coupon code which will help you save extra 10% on domain transfer (who doesn’t love extra savings.)
But, before I begin, let me make sure you actually understand why I want you to move from GoDaddy to NameCheap. Here’s a small comparison chart between GoDaddy and NameCheap.
[table id=8 /]
Now, if you’re with me, let’s get started with the tutorial i.e. Transfer Existing Domain from GoDaddy to NameCheap.
1. Unlock Your Domain
By default, your domains are locked for transfer and you’ve to unlock it from GoDaddy to make a transfer.
1. Login to your GoDaddy account and click on Manage My Domains option.
2. Choose the domain name you want to transfer and click on small gear icon. Next, click on “Domain Settings”
3. Scroll down to ‘Additional Settings’ and click on ‘Edit’ next to Domain Lock option.
Once your switch the button, your domain will be unlocked.
2. Get Authorization Code
Further, you now need to get your Authorization (also called EPP) code. You need to enter this code when requesting transfer.
1. On the same page, scroll a bit lower to found an option called “Get authorization code”.
On click, your authorization code will be sent to the registered email address. Open your email inbox and note down the Authorization Code you just received.
Here start the actual domain transfer –
1. Browse to NameCheap.com (your new registrar.)
2. Click on ‘Transfer’ under Domains tab.
3. On the next screen, enter your domain name which you want to transfer.
4. Up next, you need to paste the ‘Authorization Code’ you received earlier (in your mailbox.) Also, make sure you tick on ‘Yes to all’.
Once done, click on the cart icon. You can see the total cost after ICANN fee in the sidebar. It adds up to be $9.87
5. Click on ‘View Cart’ button which will redirect you the order page.
As you can see, you get free WhoisGuard (domain privacy) for one year worth $2.88.
6. Next visit this NameCheap Coupon Page (updates every month) to see if there’s any live coupon.
As of now, I applied promotional code 5MAYDAY5 which reduced the total cart price to $9.02 (10% discount.)
Click on ‘Confirm Order’ and complete the payment.
As soon as you complete your payment, you’ll receive a confirmation email from NameCheap.
Open that email and approve the request by choosing the correct radio button and submitting.
The domain transfer process will not initiate if you don’t approve it from your email.
Once you have approved, the transfer will take place within five (5) calendar days. Normally, my domain get transferred in less than 24 hours.
4. Speed Up The Transfer
If you are short of patience, follow the below steps to speed up the domain transfer process.
1. Login back to your GoDaddy Account and under ‘Domains ‘tab, click on ‘Transfer’ menu.
2. Find your domain name in “Pending Transfer Out” section. Simply select “Accept Transfer” and click ‘OK’.
After making the above changes, expect your domain to be transferred to NameCheap in less than 24 hours.
You might receive some additional approval email, so keep an eye on your email inbox.
Once your domain is transferred, make sure to check domain name servers (DNS) are configured correctly.
We all deserve to save money and enjoy the best services. And I hope NameCheap will help you in both ways.
There might be a little downtime when the transfer takes place. But, it’ll be no longer than few minutes.
If you know a better way which lets us transfer our existing domain from GoDaddy to NameCheap without downtime them let me know. I’ll make sure to update the article ASAP.
Also, make sure to share this post with your friends and followers.